The Great Commission is one of the most significant and well-known passages in the Bible. It’s the command given by Jesus Christ to his disciples to go out into the world and preach the gospel to all nations. The Great Commission is recorded in Matthew 28:16-20 and has been a source of inspiration for countless Christians over the centuries. Here are 10 verses from the Bible about the Great Commission:
1. “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” – Matthew 28:19 ESV
2. “And he said to them, ‘Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.'” – Mark 16:15 ESV
3. “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” – Acts 1:8 ESV
4. “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.” – Romans 10:17 ESV
Find spiritual inspiration when - read Today's Bible Verse and the Deovtional Scripture Passage for Today.
5. “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, ‘Your God reigns.'” – Isaiah 52:7 ESV
6. “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…” – Matthew 28:19 NIV
7. “But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.” – 2 Timothy 4:5 NIV
8. “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” – Matthew 24:14 NIV
9. “And he said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'” – Mark 16:15 NKJV
10. “And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by accompanying signs.” – Mark 16:20 ESV
The Great Commission is not just a call to evangelize, but a call to discipleship. We are to make disciples of all nations, not just converts. It’s a call to a lifetime of devotion and commitment to Christ. May these verses inspire you to share the good news of Jesus Christ with others and disciple those who come to faith.
FAQ about the Great Commission
1. What is the Great Commission and what does it mean?
The Great Commission is a command given by Jesus Christ to his followers to go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything he commanded. (Matthew 28:18-20)
2. Where in the Bible can we find the Great Commission?
The Great Commission is recorded in Matthew 28:16-20, Mark 16:15, Luke 24:44-49, John 20:21, and Acts 1:8.
3. Who is responsible for carrying out the Great Commission?
Every believer in Christ is responsible for fulfilling the Great Commission. It is a task not only for pastors, evangelists, or missionaries but for all followers of Jesus who are called to share the gospel and make disciples. (Mark 16:15, Acts 1:8)
4. What are some practical ways to carry out the Great Commission in our daily lives?
We can carry out the Great Commission in our daily lives by being genuine witnesses to others by living a life of love, sharing the gospel with others, praying for missionaries, and supporting the work of the church. (1 Thessalonians 2:8, Colossians 4:5-6, 1 Corinthians 9:14)
5. Why is fulfilling the Great Commission important for Christians?
Fulfilling the Great Commission is vital for Christians because it is a command from Jesus Christ himself, and it is the duty of all believers to obey him. As followers of Christ, we are called to make disciples and share the good news of the gospel so that others may come to know him and be saved. (Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:15)
Prayer for Reflection
We thank you for the great commission that you have given to us as believers. We ask you to empower us with your Holy Spirit so that we can go forth and make disciples of all nations, sharing the good news of your love and salvation with all those we encounter. Help us to be faithful witnesses and obedient servants, always seeking to walk in your will and fulfill your plan for our lives.
May your love shine through us in all that we do, as we seek to make a difference in this world for your glory. And may we be faithful to the task of making disciples, baptizing and teaching them to obey all that you have commanded us. We know that this work is not easy, but we pray for strength and courage to persevere, trusting in you to guide us every step of the way.
Lord, we pray for those who have not yet heard the good news of your salvation. We ask that you would send forth laborers into the harvest field to proclaim your truth to every people group and nation. May your Holy Spirit move mightily to bring about salvation and transformation in the lives of those who are lost and in need of your grace.
We give you all the glory, honor, and praise for what you have done, what you are doing, and what you will do for the sake of your name. In Jesus’ name, we pray, Amen.